What is the adoption process?
NEOESR is dog-centric. We are constantly looking to match each dog with the right family.
- To be in the running, you must submit an adoption application. All adoption applications are date stamped for tracking purposes. But the date stamp is not a factor in matching the dog with its new family.
- Families that meet the needs and requirements of a particular dog will be notified. These families will have an opportunity to meet the dog, learn about the dog’s situation, and will be interviewed by a member of our placement team.
- If the match looks promising, the placement team will schedule a home check (if one has not already been done). A home check allows us to further assess if your home is a match for that particular dog.
- We will make a quick check with your veterinarian to ensure your current pets are up-to-date on their vaccinations. Please let us know if you have changed veterinarians or moved.
- The last step is to sign New England Old English Sheepdog Rescue’s adoption agreement and go home with your dog.
Adoption Contract (Release and Indemnity Agreement)
How much does it cost to adopt an Old English Sheepdog from NEOESR?
We request an adoption fee of $350 plus membership in our organization.
- Annual memberships as well as lifetime memberships are available.
- All memberships come with a subscription to our quarterly newsletter, The Tale’s End.
How long must I wait for an Old English Sheepdog?
The perfect match may be found quickly or it may take weeks or months or longer.
Adoption decisions are not based on who has been waiting the longest or who has seen the dog first. Instead, NEOESR works to match the dog’s needs with that of all potential adopters. Once a dog is available for adoption, we sort through the list of people who have submitted applications and look for the best match for each dog based on the dog’s needs and requirements.
Please note that each year NEOESR receives many more adoption applications than the total number of available dogs. While this is very good news for the dogs, it means that we regret that we cannot guarantee that you will be able to adopt a dog from NEOESR. We are happy to refer you to other rescue groups or to Petfinder or to a qualified breeder.
We discourage people from adopting from puppy mills and will gladly answer any questions you may have about breeders. For more information, please contact: Grannie.firstname.lastname@example.org
Where do the rescue dogs come from?
Dogs need new homes for a variety of reasons. The most common ones are because the owners had a change in their lifestyle and are not able or willing to include the dog in that change (moving, new baby, new spouse, divorce, illness, etc.)
Can I get a dog that I can breed? I think it would be great to have all of those cute puppies.
No. All dogs that are placed from NEOESR are spayed or neutered prior to adoption.
Are the dogs purebred?
If by “purebred” you mean are they Old English Sheepdogs? Yes they are, unless they are designated as nearly or mixes.
However, please note that most purebred OES that are brought into our program do not have papers documenting their lineage. If NEOESR is in receipt of the dog’s papers, copies will be provided to the new adoptive family.